Friday, December 2, 2011

Unemployment Benefits...No Problem; Why?


I read Megan Fisher’s commentary Unemployment Benefits…NoProblem. I have to say that it kind of struck a nerve.

I can understand her point of view, but I don't necessarily agree with it. 

She says that they shouldn't make it so easy to obtain and continue receiving unemployment, but how would she suggest to make it harder? How would she better the system? What would she change?
I got fired. Unjustly, unfairly, and completely out of line. I was being harassed and mistreated by my supervisor. I am a young white woman and therefore do not qualify for protection against the harassment since it was not racially, gender, age, or religious based harassment. I was simply stuck with an awful boss who treated me different than all the other employees, in a very disheartening way. One day when I had had enough, I simply told my supervisor ,”I understand you are my supervisor, but I would appreciate it if you would quit treating me different than the other employees. I do my job and work hard and I don’t understand why you talk to me the way do.” Maybe I was out of line because she was my supervisor but I don’t think that people with power should be able to get away with saying or acting any way they want. I was fired the next day for "insubordination".

I took the chance and applied for unemployment. After an extensive two part interview process, in which they contacted me and my employer, I qualified. I get 1/4 of what I use to make in a month and it runs out at the end of December. I only qualified for $3500. I apply to a crap load of jobs every week; in person, on line, through email. I use every tool available to me. I have been unemployed for 5 months and I am struggling financially. It's hard to find jobs especially when you have little to no experience in the workforce and don't have a college degree. There are so many people out there with degrees and experience that don’t have jobs, and because of that I am being looked over. Out of all the jobs I’ve applied for, I have had 3 interviews and no job offers. What more can I do to keep what little pay I am getting from the government? Should I write an essay about each experience? Go to a minimum of 2 interviews per week? 

I understand there are people out there who take advantage of the system which is why I understand where you are coming from, but to make it harder for them is to make it harder for people like me as well. You shouldn’t punish the class for the misdeeds of one student.

No comments:

Post a Comment